Friday, March 13, 2009

Time Well Spent



This week I had the privilege of helping my daughter when she ran out of gas at 11:15 in the evening. What entails is really a comedy of errors so just bear with me.
I get the call she ran out of gas and with an empty gas can in hand I pick her up. Unbeknownst to me the gas station in town is no longer open late at night. We then proceed to my house checking the other 2 gas cans in the garage-no gas. We then travel to her house to check the gas can in her garage-no gas. We then go back to the shopping center thinking that someone may have access to at least a gallon of gas-no gas. So our next thought is the fire station-we are blessed because they not only have gas but fill our empty 5 gallon gas can for free. We then proceed back to her car thanking God all the way. We get ready to fill her car with the gas from the wonderful people at the fire station and realize we have no funnel to get the gas into the car. I then proceed to her house to pick up the funnel from her gas can. As I unscrew the funnel from the gas can I think do I need to take the whole can? I think no and just grab the funnel. Get back to the car and get ready to put the funnel on the larger gas can and the funnel falls into the can filled with gas. Back to square one. I then go back to my house pick up another gas can with a funnel and head back to the car. (In the mean time my daughter is using a coat hanger trying to get the funnel out of the can of gas). We then pour the gas into the smaller gas can (we aren’t even gonna try to change funnels again) thinking okay thank you-Lord we got it. The story doesn’t stop here. The funnel was to short, the gas spilled on the ground. Again back to square one. At this point I’m starting to feel a little like Lucy and Ethel with all the things that are happening. But we then get the original funnel that fell in the can of gas out– put it on the smaller gas can, pour the gasoline that the nice people at the fire station gave us into this smaller gas can and fill her car with gas. What started out to be what I thought a 20 minute there and back lasted one and a half hours.
It wasn’t the gas or the running here and there late at night or the frustrations, it was quality time with my daughter. We laughed so much and talked and to me it was the best time I’ve had in a while. God brought us together that night because God knew I needed a relief, I needed to laugh. But then He gave me something more wonderful-alone time with Him. It was then that I got to spend quality time with my Heavenly Father.

Lamentations 2:19
19 Arise, cry out in the night, as the watches of the night begin; pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord....

No comments: