Saturday, April 18, 2009

On Thursday, at Ohana Group our discussion drifted to 1Corinthians 10:13 (NIV), which states:
13No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.
The discussion we were having involved why people used this particular verse when someone is going through a trial and people say, “God never gives you more than you can handle.” My argument was that this verse doesn’t clarify that it’s referring to a trial, but that it is speaking of being tempted. … So after much discussion it was determined by everyone in the group that it was talking about being tempted and not being in a trial. I know that one particular person in the group felt let down because she had always relied on this verse when she was in the midst of a trial. Ihave to admit, I also relied on this verse for many years but was always confused about the word “tempted”. Not wanting anyone to stumble for my lack of knowledge I decided I would take it a step further and looked up the Greek word for “tempted”. The word is peirazo (pi-rad-zo) which means to “test” i.e.. endeavor, scrutinize, entice, discipline-assay, examine, go about, prove, tempt, try. With this in mind, I then started looking through different translations of the bible. And for those of you who were at Ohana Group on Thursday evening –my apologies, please forgive me.

1Corinthians 10:13 (The Message Bible)
13No test or temptation that comes your way is beyond the course of what others have had to face. All you need to remember is that God will never let you down; he'll never let you be pushed past your limit; he'll always be there to help you come through it. (emphasis mine)
God is with us in our trials, He is there no matter what, for,
... God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."... (Heb. 13:5 NIV)

No comments: