Thursday, June 4, 2009

Being Chosen


As a kid I always dreaded the times at recess when we had to “pick teams”. I was usually chosen about halfway through the pick or towards the end, I was never chosen as the top 5. Seemed to me that the ones chosen first were always best friends to the one doing the choosing, or you excelled in the sport you might be playing that particular day. I don’t know why my thoughts bring me back to that time of life other than to say that we don’t choose Jesus, He chooses us, and when we follow Him we become His friend and we are adopted into Gods family. Galatians 4:6-7 says, Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, "Abba, Father." So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir. With that in mind, see what he says about us in 1Peter 2:9-10, But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy. Not only does He call us sons and daughters, but He loves us so much.... Romans 8:38-39; For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
I guess what I’m trying to say is, what a privilege that Jesus chose us, and it should be our desire each and every day to honor Him because He did choose us.

John 15:16
You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.

(emphasis mine)

No comments: