Sunday, May 17, 2009

I Can't Carry It

In a scene from The Lord of The Rings Trilogy we find Sam and Frodo struggling to make it to the top of the mountain where Frodo will finally be rid of his burden carrying the ring. Frodo has collapsed and Sam tells Frodo, “I can’t carry it for you, but I can carry you!"
To me, Sam was the hero of the Lord of The Rings. He may not have carried the ring but he was there as Frodo’s friend encouraging and helping him along the way. It was Sam’s inner strength that carried Frodo to the top of that mountain.

How often do we carry a burden until we can’t seem to take another step? The burden started out light but it began to get heavier and heavier as each day passed. We sometimes in our pride we hang on to the burden in fear of letting it go, we don’t ask for help because we think it is mine to carry not someone else’s. But what we don’t realize half the time is that Jesus is there waiting for us to give it to Him.

Jesus takes our burdens and carries them for us. Once you take the burden you are carrying and place it in Jesus’ hands he will set you on that mountain top and the weight will be gone. But we have to give it up first.

Frodo wasn’t willing to give up the ring; I believe Sam would have willing taken it if Frodo would have given it to him.

Have you given your burden to Jesus? His invitation to you is;

28"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV)

No comments: